Skip to main content

Soldering Fun

From Midi to Control Voltage

I decided to start my project with the Midi2CV functionality. As the mios32 on stm32F4discovery board can already receive midi events from USB it was best to try to turn those into control voltage first. Support for traditional midi hardware input can be added later.

The CV output schematic is heavily based on Midibox AOUT_NG board but I made some tweaks because of component availability etc. For example the DAC voltage reference on my board is Maxim's REF02 because I happened to have one around. I also left the other half of the circuit out for now as I don't need 8 cv outputs (yet!).

I have done lots of soldering during the years but always with the good old through-hole type components. Even a left-handed bass player can easily work with those. Unfortunately I was only able to find the MIOS32 supported d/a-converter MAX525 in a modern super tiny SSOP package. The options were to use another DAC-chip and write a driver for it or learn to solder surface-mount components. As I have written a shitload of device drivers at work lately I decided to choose the latter option this time.
It's difficult to even see those tiny legs!
The first thing to get was an adapter board. The rest of the project will be built on a traditional prototyping board with 2.54mm pitch so the adapter is needed to connect the tiny dac chip to the rest of the hardware. Luckily these boards are readily available in eBay.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome

After asking for soldering tips from my hardware engineer colleagues I found out that apparently a chemical called flux is a must for SMD soldering. With traditional components it's enough to just use fresh solder wire all the time because it contains some flux but with these tiny components more flux is needed. So off I went to the local electronics store. In addition to the flux pen I picked up all kinds of random stuff that seemed useful at that moment. It's already becoming clear that it would have been cheaper to buy a high end synthesizer or at least a midi2cv module instead of starting this DIY-project but who cares. This is much more fun!


geek toys.

Strömsö Time

It was time to turn on my trusty Weller soldering station and try my luck. With plenty of flux I started my first attempt:

omg lol!
I managed to fix that one by removing the solder and trying again but another totally catastrophic failure followed:


Rest in peace, poor chip!
Luckily I had several adapter boards and dac chips and after couple of attempts things started to work out a bit better. Some of the joints looked almost ok!
This one might even work!

Back to the Old-School Electronics

After I got the SMD dac chips soldered I had no idea if they worked or not. It was time to go back to the lovely through-hole soldering and build the rest of the control voltage output hardware. The DAC needed a reference voltage, an op-amp stage for buffering and fine-tuning the output etc. I also needed to get the SPI bus from the stm32 processor to the dac. This all added up to several hours of soldering and wiring work.
A voltage regulator for clean 5V power supply, a voltage reference for accurate DA conversion and the dac adapter card

Also added a socket for the stm32f4discovery board

Lots of tricky wiring in the backside too. Not the prettiest board.

The Moment of Truth

After all wires more or less in place it was time for the most scary moment of any electronics project: First power on! A tough guy would have hooked it up to the synth and started playing funky ass bass lines and mind blowing trance leads right away but I'm not a tough guy so I just turned it on and started measuring the voltages.

5V power supply seems to be about right.

DAC reference voltage too!
And finally the CV outputs:
That definitely is a voltage...

...and it changes when playing the virtual midi keyboard on the screen!

It works out of the box! Great! Still some work needed to get the signals to the analog synth circuitry so unfortunately no sound samples yet. Anyway, after adding a midi input port and some wiring and tuning I should be able to kick the lousy PIC micro-controller out from the wooden box! Yes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waldorf Blofeld Encoder Fix

Waldorf Blofeld is amazing little digital synth with almost endless possibilities. Unfortunately the rotary encoders seem to start skipping and failing sooner or later. After couple of years of light use my unit started failing too and it became very annoying to use.  First Try I first tried to open one encoder and clean it from inside. It worked ok but these components aren't really meant to be opened and closed again and I never managed to put it back together properly. Encoder shaft was loose and wobbly and it would have failed again soon because the encoder wasn't tightly closed. Proper Fix Luckily it's possible to fix it properly as long as you know how to solder. Current price for the full set of encoders is less than 7 euros. I ordered new Bourns encoders from Mouser: 1 pcs of  https://www.mouser.fi/ProductDetail/652-PEC16-4220FN0024  for the main encoder, this one has detents so it "clicks" when you turn it. 6 pcs of  https://www.mouser.fi/ProductDetail/65

Sunday Soldering: Akai Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine modifications

Sunday Soldering: Akai Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine modifications Akai Rhythm wolf is a cheap analog drum machine. It has a nice old school lo-fi sound but unfortunately Akai left out some quite useful features from the standard setup. Today I decided to modify my unit to better suit my needs. Here are the added mods: Added a resistor to the outer legs of the 'Howl' pot to make the range more useful. By default it's pretty much a switch between clean and a completely destroyed signal. I used 33k. Probably even smaller value would do. Added 3.5mm individual output jacks for all drums. The PCB has nicely marked spots where the individual signals are available but it's actually easier to take them from the volume potentiometers directly. The middle leg gives the signal after the potentiometer so volume also affects the individual outputs. It might have been a better idea to take it before the pot so that it would be possible to silence the signal from the main

Uraltone Mixer and Spring Reverb (and some synth literature...)

DIY kits and literature Bjooks and DIY kits Every now and then I had seen pictures of the beautiful and super interesting Push Turn Move book by Kim Bjørn:  https://www.pushturnmove.com/ . Unfortunately it's not available as an eBook and the price has been too high for me because of the shipping costs. Some time ago Bjørn launched the Kickstarter campaign for his third book Pedal Crush . All the buzz it generated in social media led me once again to the Push Turn Move web page. This time I was delighted to find our local DIY music electronics store Uraltone in the reseller list. Of course I had to buy both of the already published "Bjooks" immediately and while at it I decided to buy some Uraltone eurorack DIY kits too. I have wanted a spring reverb since the days I got my first electric guitar and another mixer in my eurorack wouldn't harm. After a short bike ride to Uraltone I had my back bag full of reading and soldering! Support your local! Uralkit Spring