Skip to main content

808 Drums!


Modular Drum Machine?

It was yet another boring afternoon at work. I ended up searching for some interesting DIY eurorack kits. I had never considered adding any drum stuff to my modular synth. I have the not so perfect Akai Howling Wolf drum machine in my setup and have been somewhat disappointed with the kick drum of the unit. So when I found the cheap Sound Force 808 kick diy kit I just couldn't resist. They also have 808 snare kit available so of course I had to get both.

Weird-Valued Vertical Resistors

I usually start all pcb builds by soldering the resistors. They are easy to install and are the lowest components. Unfortunately these boards are designed for smaller resistor components. They can be built with normal through-hole resistors but everything needs to be installed vertically. This makes soldering much slower and more painful.

I have plenty of resistors and capacitors around and these boards don't use any exotic ICs so I thought I could build these without ordering any components. Unfortunately these boards use some very rare resistor and capacitor values so eventually I just had to go and order the exact components. I wish I had done that already in the beginning as the "three resistors in series" hacks are definitely not worth it.
First components soldered. Starting to realize how painful it is to mount all resistors vertically.

These modules use some really unusual resistor values. I first tried to cope with what I had but eventually ended up ordering the exact components. Hacks like these are not worth it!

Arrrrgh!

The mechanical construction is really good. PCB is nicely fixed to the panel with the pots.

The Result

After all the component struggle I managed to get both boards up and running. The end result is nice. Modules are robust and look good. Some of the pots seem to work in a weird way though. (Pitch goes up when tune pot is turned down or so.) I don't know if it's a mistake in the design or just in my build. Anyway, it works so I really don't care.

Kick ready!

Snare too!

The kit consists of panel, main pcb and a small connector pcb attached with a cable. Cable was included in the kit.

The Sound

I have never even seen a real TR-808 drum machine. I have played around with some software versions and sample kits but really don't know what the real deal sounds like so I cannot comment how close these are. Anyway, I love the kick. It's so much punchier than the Akai Howling wolf and gets even better when connected to a Doepfer A-116 waveform processor for some aggressive distortion. I use this kick all the time now. I even started considering a modification to the Howling Wolf to get gate signals out and just trigger drum modules from the sequencer.

I don't like the snare as much as I like the kick. It doesn't sound that special and actually sounds like it's slightly broken with some settings. I might have some errors in my unit. Need to check it more thoroughly at some point.

Next I would like to find a cheap and good sounding hihat module and maybe a simple drum sequencer in eurorack format. Then I could get rid of the howling wolf completely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waldorf Blofeld Encoder Fix

Waldorf Blofeld is amazing little digital synth with almost endless possibilities. Unfortunately the rotary encoders seem to start skipping and failing sooner or later. After couple of years of light use my unit started failing too and it became very annoying to use.  First Try I first tried to open one encoder and clean it from inside. It worked ok but these components aren't really meant to be opened and closed again and I never managed to put it back together properly. Encoder shaft was loose and wobbly and it would have failed again soon because the encoder wasn't tightly closed. Proper Fix Luckily it's possible to fix it properly as long as you know how to solder. Current price for the full set of encoders is less than 7 euros. I ordered new Bourns encoders from Mouser: 1 pcs of  https://www.mouser.fi/ProductDetail/652-PEC16-4220FN0024  for the main encoder, this one has detents so it "clicks" when you turn it. 6 pcs of  https://www.mouser.fi/ProductDetail/65

Sunday Soldering: Akai Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine modifications

Sunday Soldering: Akai Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine modifications Akai Rhythm wolf is a cheap analog drum machine. It has a nice old school lo-fi sound but unfortunately Akai left out some quite useful features from the standard setup. Today I decided to modify my unit to better suit my needs. Here are the added mods: Added a resistor to the outer legs of the 'Howl' pot to make the range more useful. By default it's pretty much a switch between clean and a completely destroyed signal. I used 33k. Probably even smaller value would do. Added 3.5mm individual output jacks for all drums. The PCB has nicely marked spots where the individual signals are available but it's actually easier to take them from the volume potentiometers directly. The middle leg gives the signal after the potentiometer so volume also affects the individual outputs. It might have been a better idea to take it before the pot so that it would be possible to silence the signal from the main

Uraltone Mixer and Spring Reverb (and some synth literature...)

DIY kits and literature Bjooks and DIY kits Every now and then I had seen pictures of the beautiful and super interesting Push Turn Move book by Kim Bjørn:  https://www.pushturnmove.com/ . Unfortunately it's not available as an eBook and the price has been too high for me because of the shipping costs. Some time ago Bjørn launched the Kickstarter campaign for his third book Pedal Crush . All the buzz it generated in social media led me once again to the Push Turn Move web page. This time I was delighted to find our local DIY music electronics store Uraltone in the reseller list. Of course I had to buy both of the already published "Bjooks" immediately and while at it I decided to buy some Uraltone eurorack DIY kits too. I have wanted a spring reverb since the days I got my first electric guitar and another mixer in my eurorack wouldn't harm. After a short bike ride to Uraltone I had my back bag full of reading and soldering! Support your local! Uralkit Spring